The Great Wall of China

The Great Wall of China
Feel free to leave a message (click on 'Comments' at the bottom of each Blog)

Monday 1 November 2010

Autumn Leaves and a Dizzy Blonde

A hectic week followed by an even more manic weekend! Met with the Springboard / Great Wall of China team on Thursday night at drp group offices in central London.
I was late arriving at Covent Garden tube station, and the queue for the lifts up to street level was horrendous, so I decided to take the other option - a spiral staircase of 195 steps "For Emergency Use Only".

I set off like a gazelle, wondering why others were taking their time. Two minutes later, I realised that the 'emergency use' might be for the paramedics I would need if I didn't slow down!! Got there, hot & seriously out of breath to discover that I was one of the first to arrive! Still, it was good training for the challenge.

The meeting was enlightening, with Chad from 'Charity Challenge' explaining the details of our trek in March next year. All I will say for now is that it sounds exciting but tough.

Spent Friday in London with Angie, one of my Ops Managers from Sunderland. We were visiting some of our 'heritage' catering sites in advance of taking a client to see them. Lots more walking, with the longest trek between the Tower of London & Southwark Cathedral. Angie is a true Geordie who finds London 'a bit full-on, like'. Her love of the City was heightened by the ad below, which is currently plastered across the tube trains & stations!  I can't publish her comments...
On to the subject of this weeks Blog, there can't be a better time of year to walk around Goyt Valley in the Peak District, with thousands of trees reflecting their multiple colours in the reservoirs below. The weather was great to start with, and although the cloud was low, we only got a few spots of rain towards the end of our 11 mile walk.

The steep climb up to the 'Cat & Fiddle', England's second highest pub, was made worthwhile by the hot chocolate for the girls, coffee for Paul and a pint of 'Dizzy Blonde' for me.



No jokes about the bobble hat, please - no hair = cold head.


No comments: