The Great Wall of China

The Great Wall of China
Feel free to leave a message (click on 'Comments' at the bottom of each Blog)

Monday 20 December 2010

Being Santa!

As an ex-President of Bramhall Round Table, I still get involved with the annual 'Father Christmas Float', where we visit every houshold in the area over 14 nights, giving children the opportunity to visit Santa on his 'sleigh' and raise funds in support of local charities. Over the years, I have donned the red suit and beard on many occasions, so when the current Tablers offered me the opportunity to 'man the float' outside Sainsbury's on Saturday, in return for £250 - £300 of the proceeds towards my fundraising effort, I jumped at the chance. First job was to find someone willing to be a victim Santa for a couple of hours, and one of my Ops Managers, Ian Lonsdale seemed to fit the bill. Typical of Ian's enthusiasm and 'try anything' attitude, he did a great job. Even his own friends and scout group didn't recognise him!

People were very generous (with the sympathy factor kicking in as we stood there in the wintry conditions), and when it came to my turn to be Santa, it was fantastic to spend a couple of hours talking to the wide-eyed children who still believe in Father Christmas!

*************************************************************************************

Earlier in the week I was at a senior team meeting, which was held at Lord's cricket ground in the historic Pavilion.

Before the meeting, we were treated to a full tour of the 'home of cricket', culminating in a precious few minutes in the presence of the original 'Ashes'. The 'trophy' lends it's name to the series of test matches which are currently being contested between England and Australia on the other side of the world, although the ashes themselves remain locked away at Lord's. At this stage, the destiny of the Ashes title is very much in the balance, however I now have a much keener interest in the result.
*************************************************************************************
As this is my last Blog before the festive season, I just want to take the opportunity to wish all my followers a very Merry Christmas!

No comments: