The Great Wall of China

The Great Wall of China
Feel free to leave a message (click on 'Comments' at the bottom of each Blog)

Monday 11 April 2011

The Great Wall of China Part Five - Too Much Exposure on the Wall!?

I started one of the most frightening, amazing days of my life with a stand-up wash in the dingy bathroom. What I didn't realise until the end of the day was that in the half-light and tiredness, I only managed to get one contact lens in. This was to undoubtedly make my vertigo worse, and it didn't need any help today!

What I also didn't find out until later was that I must have eaten something dodgy!

Our trek started straight from the Lodge today, on the Jinshanling section of the wall. The weather was beautiful yet again, which made the prospect of panoramic views a reality. The Fun Bus is ready to roll (the Power Rangers left 5 minutes ago!)

After a good climb, we were straight into the stunning views! Here you can clearly see the path of the wall along the mountaintops through the early morning mist.

Off to the side the views were equally as spectacular - these trees forming strange shapes on the 'camel's back' mountain.

...and as the sun broke through, the Wall was revealed in all it's Glory!

The vista changed constantly, and the Fun Bus got further and further behind as the cameras clicked relentlessly!

It's amazing how quickly you cover the distance though, and we were soon approaching the more challenging sections of today's trek

There were times today when I really did want the earth to swallow me up...

...but my friends from the Fun Bus and the G-lue were there to support me all the way through.

Oh, just another stunning view - of the climbs yet to come!

This one proved to be my low point of the day. The steps were incredibly steep, with parts of the wall missing to the left to reveal a long vertical drop. Maria went in front of me and was worried when I didn't reply to her calls of  'are you OK Stewy?'. I couldn't respond because I was trying to (a) breath, (b) not look down, up or sideways, (c) swallow - my mouth was as dry as dust and (d) muffle my continuous swearing!

The photos really don't do this justice!

The 'Happy Helpers' were there at the top to lend a hand (which I think most people took if they're honest), although the Ronster looks quite comfortable here.

I definitely took the offer to get over the step at the top - her grip was a bit like screwing your hand in a vice! Very comforting, though and at that point I would have bought every book, T-shirt and chopstick in her bag!

Later, for one rare moment, we met the Power Rangers coming back the other way. I think the one at the front is called George. ............. only kidding, we all got on really well!

It's amazing how some of the towers have stood up to Centuries of harsh mountain weather.

The steep steps continued - going down this time, which in some ways is worse than going up, as you have to look at your feet! We all took our turns at being the 'bread' and the 'filling' in a trekkers sandwich when things got tough!


But it was all worth the pain and fear to be on our own (most of the time) in these humbling surroundings.

In order to avoid descending the steepest stairs, we were taken on a 'safer' route. This turned out to be a narrow, rock and scree path traversing across the side of the mountain! Lorraine never let go of her 'Happy Helper' the whole time, and I think it was a close call as to who gripped who the hardest!


It was at this moment that whatever I had eaten the night before, chose the most inopportune moment to 'ask to get off the Fun Bus'. My stomach was in knots (probably caused by the fear from earlier as well), so I ran along the narrow path with no concern about my safety, and disappeared round the corner 150 yards ahead. After doing my 'crouching tiger' impression in the prickly thorn bushes (who cares), I looked up to see about ten other trekkers peering over the wall at me in my precarious pose!!! I don't know who was more shocked - me or them. Oh well, needs must and all that! If any of them read this Blog, please accept my apologies for spoiling the beautiful view!

So it was with much relief! that we started the descent to the Village, with Happy Chapees still in tow.

I think Lorraine spent enough on books & chopsticks to keep them in clover for quite some time!!

On the way to our next accommodation, we stopped off at the Cloisonne factory to see how it is made. The process starts with the pots themselves...

...onto which the girls skilfully apply twisted pieces of wire to form the pictures or patterns....

... until it looks like this....

.... then the enamel pigments are applied between the wires....

..... and the pots are fired in the kiln room.....


... and finally the pot is finished using various pieces of hard and soft rock, to a highly-polished surface.

The results in the showroom bely the simple tools, basic conditions and effortless skills behind the scenes.

Tonight's accommodation is at the Yanshan Petrochemical Shangyang Lodge. Quite luxurious compared to previous nights, and it even had hot water! 

Phil, with his usual military efficiency said that we needed to be down for dinner at 6:30 prompt (his favourite phrase over the week as people turned up late was 'which part of 6:45 / 7:30 etc don't people understand?)'

The thought of another Chinese meal didn't sit well with a lot of us, and we asked if there was an alternative, to be told that there was a McDonalds about half an hour's walk away! We had a fascinating stroll past the local shops and market stalls and 45 minutes later, there it was  - the Big M.


We managed to order Big Macs, Fries etc and sat down to a Michelin Starred Maccy D's!!!

Ron had two Filets of Fish, and his face was like that of a very small child eating chocolate!

As we looked out of the window, there across the street was a KFC, so over we went for a couple of Family Buckets! The guys back at the Shangyang had tucked into boiled chicken's feet, so we felt pretty good about our choice.

Jane & Jay even found their very own Power Ranger on the way back. Power Up!!!!!

No comments: